Thursday, September 14, 2006

What did I want to be when I grew up? I always had a long list of ideas. I wanted to be a basketball player, a photographer, a journalist, and a teacher – all at different ages/stages of my life. I always wanted an adventure in life. God delivered! It is not because I am living in an exotic country. I am on an adventure because He is my guide. My life is solely in my Creator’s hands. If he wants Jeff and I to live here, I say great! If He has other plans for us, then I say great again!

I have asked God, what will my life be? Where will I go? What will I do? Yet, I know that neither where I go nor what I do really matters. I cannot be content in going and doing. No one can. I will never find my reason for living in anything, anyone, anyplace. I need God to sustain me and give me joy. I enjoy teaching; I enjoy living in Brazil; I enjoy my life, but I know that it is not these things that give me contentment.

If I wander and search for some other contentment, it would only be in vain. It would be a pining after a phantom, an idea that does not exist. I can never find fulfillment outside of Him.

Teaching English and learning Portuguese is what my life consists of right now. Our preschoolers are on their fifth section of the Teaching English with Ace & Christy. They are two bright little girls. They are at a stage where they merge their Portuguese with their English in everyday conversations. Some of their favorite words are father, nice, listen, teacher, and of course NO (every preschooler’s favorite word).








The kindergarteners are learning quickly as well (we have four). They are in a stage where they start every sentence with the word “and” (ex. And I go to the bathroom, Teacher?). They form choppy sentences on their own now. I’m so proud!

The afternoon class is learning quickly, but they can difficult to discipline at times. They all attend other schools during the day, so they don’t take our class as seriously. Please pray for them as we work to encourage them in their Christian growth.

This last picture is of the burning of the sugar cane. They do this to get the snakes out before harvest.

post by Lindsay

No comments: