Thursday, June 29, 2006

3 WEEKS

Three weeks. We’ve been here three weeks – sometimes it feels like we just got here and sometimes it feels like we’ve been here for ages.

This week we mostly had practices for the program. I was grateful that I didn’t have to help teach much, because I got pretty sick on Wednesday and spent the day in bed. I feel like I’ve adjusted to the school just in time for it to let out.

I can’t help but wonder what next semester will be like, when the English classes are really mine. I’ll have another Brazilian teacher in the classes with me, but I’ll be doing the teaching. I feel confident. The curriculum is great. I know what changes I want to make and I know generally what I want to do with the daily lesson plans.

I know a few phrases that will help me in classes. “Senta” (sit down), “Esta Feio” (that’s ugly – teachers use if a kid has some “ugly” behavior), “Chega” (that’s enough), “Muinto bem” (very good), etc. And the kids know a few phrases in English about obeying: look, listen, close your mouth, very good, etc.

The kids are really pretty good and they are excited about learning English. Today was our program. We did the “Goldilocks and the Three Bears.” Here are some pictures.


- Lindsay

No comments: